The cottage is behind the Hare. It’s a handsome Victorian building and has been beautifully restored. You couldn’t call it a country cottage, it is, after all, in a pub car park so you can hardly sit in the garden watching the stars but it is a pleasing built environment, a conservation area with lovely walks along the river Dee and over the water meadows. Farndon is a comfortable residential village, what we used to call a dormitory village, with the residents travelling to Chester, Wrexham and Liverpool to work. The bridge that crosses over the Dee into Holt (Wales) is a medieval wonder and a grade I listed building. See this wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farndon_Bridge
The pub is small, built in the early 1900’s. It has a look of its arts and crafts era and greatly benefits from being purpose built as a pub which gave it big cellars. We’ve tried to make it a meeting point in the village for talking with people - comfortable seating, good food, decent beers and wines. It’s not a boozer, although it is boozy, so if it's pool and Sky TV you’re after you’ll be barking up the wrong tree here.
We’ve geared the cottage up for people who have to be in the area for a few weeks and are looking for somewhere more homely than a local hotel. We’re thinking people working on one of the many industrial estates (Wrexham is the largest in Europe) or perhaps buying a house or moving house. It’s very comfortable when you want to stay in and you have a good pub to eat and drink in when you want some company. It has the facilities you’ll need for working from home including a good kitchen table with decent wi-fi and warmth.
Bedrooms and bathrooms
Kitchen and snug
What do you get
Recently renovated, Victorian workman's cottage with kitchen, sitting room, 2 bedrooms and utility room. Reserved parking for two cars.
Good sized kitchen with table and 4 chairs. Original quarry tile floor with new kitchen, 4 burner gas hob, electric fan oven, microwave, dishwasher, fridge (note no freezer) all the usual pots, pans and utensils.
Small sitting room with a wood burning stove, 43” smart TV with Netflix, Amazon Prime and Apple TV (you’ll need your own accounts) with comfortable double sofa and two chairs. Although this is a small sitting room it is truly cozy.
Two decent sized bedrooms with king sized Vi-Spring beds and large en-suite showers. Lots of hot water and good powerful showers. We do not have baths. Plenty of hanging space and shelves in fitted wardrobes. Good quality Egyptian cotton bed linen.
Tastefully decorated although this is our taste which is a sort of shabby chic. If you like smoked glass and marble floors this will not be for you.
We love dogs and would be pleased for you to bring them but would not be happy with them being left alone during the day. They’re welcome in the pub too.
Need to know
- Our change over day is Sunday.
- You can check in after 4pm.
- You need to check out before 11am.
- The front door leads straight on to the car park and there is no garden so the cottage is not suitable for young children.
- There are no baths, only showers.
- There are very steep stairs to the bedrooms and they are not suitable for people with mobility problems.
- The minimum stay is one week.
- If you stay more than one week you may leave your possessions in the house if you go home for the weekend.
- The house is covered by external CCTV and has an alarm.
- If you stay more than one week the house will be cleaned and sheets and towels changed on Sunday or a on a day of your choosing.
- Additional house keeping services are available such as laundry at negotiated prices, not expensive but the housekeepers have to be properly rewarded.
- We can serve food in the house from the pub as long as the pub is open which is all the time unless Boris gets his oar in.
From £700 per week.
One week minimum rental - Sunday to Sunday.
Well suited to 2 adults or 2 couples.
The Cottage, The Hare, Farndon, Chester, Cheshire, CH3 6PU
To book The Cottage using our AirBnB page click HERE
You can follow The Cottage on Instagram HERE